Field Sparrow (FS)
- Created from internationally recognized, award winning first generation Princeton Audubon Limited prints.*
- Representing the most beautiful and diverse collection of Princeton Audubon Limited prints.
- Uniqely larger (13" x 20") for higher visibility and detail than other garden flags.
- Printed on special brilliant, plush four-ply polyester for double-sided printing.
- Customized for your choice of two different birds on one flag, front and back, at no additional charge.**
- We sell the Garden Gems Flag Stand, the best flag stand for our flags.
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed by a full refund if returned in 10 days.
- Handcrafted in the USA.
This print was based on a painting dated July 11, 1829, the day on which the artist left Great Egg Harbor, New Jersey, after a visit of four weeks. Audubon wrote of it: "Travelling from Egg Harbor towards Philadelphia, I found a nest of this species placed at the foot of a bush growing in almost pure sand. Near it were the plants which you see accompanying the figure."
A pink bill and plain breast are characteristic field marks of this bird, and the term "field" is a bit misleading as it is rarely seen in cultivated fields, but rather in woodland borders or old pasture lots growing up with weeds and bushes. It is a persistent singer and from a singing perch, usually atop a bush or small tree, it sends forth its clear, sweet, and melancholy notes.